10 Natural â€œPrescriptionâ€ for Hypertension Relief
You must have heard people calling high blood pressure or hypertension as â€œSilent Killerâ€. Hypertension or high blood pressure is called as silent killer because it doesnâ€™t have any symptoms and most of the people donâ€™t even know they are suffering from it. According to American Heart Association (AHA) 1 out of 4 adults suffer from and hypertension and almost 1/3rd of them are unaware of the fact.
Though the exact cause of hypertension is not known but some of the possible causes of high blood pressure are:
- Essential or primary hypertension
- Excess sodium consumption
- Kidney abnormalities
- Tumor in adrenal gland
- Abnormality of endocrine gland
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Alcohol and cigarette smoking
- Certain medications like oral contraceptives, decongestants, over the counter cold remedies and pain relievers and few other prescribed drugs
- Prohibited drugs like amphetamines or cocaine
Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure:
If left untreated hypertension can lead to serious diseases like kidney damage, stroke, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis and heart attack. Besides conventional medications there are several natural ways to control high blood pressure. You can easily lower your blood pressure with effective home remedies. Some of the effective home remedies for hypertension are listed below:
- Mix 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and 2 spoonful of honey and drink this mixture twice a day. This is one of the most effective and beneficial home remedy for high blood pressure.
- Eat lots of watermelon as it is highly beneficial in case of hypertension. Cut few slices of watermelon and add little black pepper and salt. Now with hands crush the slices and extract its juice. Drink this flavored watermelon juice daily and you will observe significant reduction in your blood pressure with 3-4 days.
- In equal quantity mix watermelon seeds and poppy seeds (Khus Khus) and make fine powder and store the powder in a glass bottle. Every morning on an empty stomach eat about 3-5gms of this powder. Continue this remedy for at least 1 month for effective result.
- Next most important fruit for people suffering from hypertension is papaya. Make sure that you eat 2-3 slices of papaya every morning and evening. Besides normalizing your blood pressure it flush out all the toxins and clears your bowel.
- Try to include fruits and vegetables like oranges and other citrus fruits rich in Vitamin C. It is important in normalizing high blood pressure. In case you have too high blood pressure then make sure that you eat oranges on an empty stomach and reduce the quantity of other foods.
- Mix equal quantity of cumin seeds, fennel seeds and sugar and make a fine powder. In a glassful of water mix 1tsp of the powder and drink it every morning and evening. This effective and safe natural remedy for hypertension and can be consumed during pregnancy.
- To 1tbsp of fresh Indian gooseberry juice add 1tbsp of honey. Consume this mixture every morning. This is another effective home remedy for high blood pressure. Indian gooseberry is rich source of Vitamin C.
- Garlic is considered to highly effective in lowering blood pressure. Daily consume 1-2 garlic cloves rolled in raisin. This is another effective natural remedy for high blood pressure.
- It is observed that people suffering from hypertension or high blood pressure generally suffer from calcium deficiency. Hence it is advisable to include calcium rich food in your diet. Good sources of calcium are low-fat milk, yogurt, cooked turnip greens, cottage cheese and canned salmon. And it is also advisable to take Vitamin D supplement for increased assimilation of calcium.
- It is advisable to eat raw vegetables as much as possible as raw vegetables contain essential oils beneficial in lowering blood pressure. Try to eat lot of cabbage, onion, cucumber, radish and carrots. Besides this make sure that you cut down your salt consumption.
High blood pressure increases the risk of number of health problems hence it is essential that you keep a check on it.
How to Prevent High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is also known as hypertension. It may lead to heart problems, kidney disorders and strokes. In order to avoid heart problems and strokes, one has to lower his/her high blood pressure or keep it normal. Following are several ways in which you may prevent high blood pressure.
- Maintain a healthy weight by calculating your body weight based on your height and age with the help of body mass index.
- Being overweight increases the risk of having high blood pressure. So if your are obese, lose weight.
- People who have a pot belly or who have gained weight around their waist are at a higher risk of having high blood pressure.
- In order to lose weight, eat food that are low in calories. If your are consuming 3500 calories per day, you should consume 3000 calories per day in order to lose weight and then to 2500 calories next week and so on.
- Set goals. Do it slowly but steadily. Try to lose one pound a week.
- Do some physical activities everyday in order to lose weight.
- Take a walk during lunch time or dinner. Instead of elevator use staircase.
- Eat no more than 6 grams of salt per day. Choose foodstuffs that are low in salt and sodium in order to prevent high blood pressure.
- Avoid eating food which are rich in sodium such as canned soups, broths, salad dressings, pizza and frozen foods.
- Avoid drinking too much of alcohol. People who drink a lot are at a higher risk of having high blood pressure. One may have 2 drinks per day.
- Stress may also lead to high blood pressure. It makes the blood go up resulting in high blood pressure.