Add Brilliant Shade of Tomatoes to Your Health
Is tomato a vegetable or a fruit, is one of the most sort after questions. Technically though tomato is a fruit but it is used as a vegetable. Keeping aside the confusion of tomato being a fruit or a vegetable, the fact is that tomatoes are packed with numerous health benefits. This article will be discussing various health benefits and nutritional value of tomatoes.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes:
Various research studies show that tomatoes are rich source of potent antioxidant like lycopene. Besides containing potent antioxidants, tomatoes are also rich source of various minerals, vitamins and other essential nutrients for healthy living. Some of the health benefits of tomatoes are listed below:
- Tomatoes are excellent detoxifier due to presence of lycopene potent antioxidant.
- Research study show that lycopene neutralizes free radicals which causes damage to cells.
- Research study shows that regular consumption of tomatoes reduces the risk of developing different types of cancer. Tomatoes cut down the risk of developing prostrate, lung, stomach, rectal and colon cancer.
- Besides reducing the risk of cancer eating tomatoes also reduces the risk of heart attacks. It is observed that regular consumption of tomatoes reduces blood cholesterol hence effective in preventing heart diseases.
- Tomatoes are excellent blood purifiers and enhance complexion and texture of the skin.
- Tomatoes prevent various infections as it is potent natural antiseptic.
- Tomatoes are rich source of Vitamin K hence are effective in preventing hemorrhages.
- Besides preventing hemorrhages it is also effective in keeping bones healthy and strong.
- Besides above mentioned benefits, regular consumption of tomatoes is beneficial in ailments like eye disorders, night blindness, indigestion, constipation, liver disorders, urinary tract infections, diarrhea, intestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, jaundice and morning sickness.
Nutritional Value of Tomatoes:
Besides being rich source of lycopene antioxidant tomato contains other essential nutrients. Listed below is the nutritional value of tomatoes per 100gm:
- Vitamin A (Retinol): 1,000 I.U.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): 0.06mg
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): 23mg
- Potassium: 360mg
- Phosphorous: 27mg
- Calcium: 11mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Protein: 1.0gm
- Calories: 20
- Certain amount of Vitamin K, sulfur, carbohydrate and fiber
- Low content of sodium and fats
The above mentioned health benefits are strong reason to include this wonder fruit/vegetable in your daily diet. Before selecting tomatoes make sure that you pick bright red colored and healthy tomatoes. The color of tomatoes indicates the amount of lycopene and beta-carotene. To enjoy the benefits of tomatoes you can eat them raw as well as cooked.