Natural Muscle Cramps Treatment
It is estimated that 50% of people between the ages of 15 and 80 years suffer from muscle cramps or other abnormal sensations in the legs at some point of time.
Though muscle cramps can occur anywhere, they occur more commonly in the calf of legs and the feet. This is because the muscles in these areas are easily strained.
Muscle cramps are caused by deficiency in some nutrients. Lack of water and salts in the body also leads to muscle cramps.
Natural treatment for muscle cramps
- A good diet is very important for prevention of muscle cramps. Your diet should consist of seeds, nuts, whole grain, cereals, vegetables and fruit.
- Calcium and magnesium deficiency causes muscle cramps. So, taking foods rich in calcium and magnesium is vital. Foods rich in calcium include green leafy vegetables, fruits like apricots, milk and milk products. Other sources include millets, oats, rice, sesame seeds and beans.
- Excessive eating of citrus fruits and drinking their juices should be avoided.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin E are beneficial in the treatment of muscle cramps caused by oxygen deficiency in the tissue. They should be taken in large doses.
- Sometimes, cramps are caused due to deficiency in Vitamin B. In such a case, Vitamin B6 should be consumed on a regular basis.
- In old age, cramps occur due to lack of hydrochloric acid. Taking supplements of magnesium, Vitamin D and hydrochloric acid after each meal will help.
- To immediately relieve muscle cramps, apply a heating pad over the cramp area. Massaging the area might also help.
- Keeping the cramped area in a tub of hot water will give immediate relief.