Thyme Aromatherapy â€“ Thyme Essential Oil Benefits
There are two main varieties of Thyme essential oils that have been used in aromatherapy – red thyme and sweet thyme. The botanical name for Thyme is Thymus vulgaris and belongs to Lamiaceae family. The main component of thyme oil is Thymol, which has strong anti-septic properties.
Thyme oil is extracted from steam distillation of dried or fresh leaves and also from flowering tops of the plant. Thymol is considered to be toxic if not used properly. Thymol is known for its various anti-fungal, antiviral and antibacterial healing properties. Thyme is native to Mediterranean and now it is also found in Turkey, Algeria, Tunisia, Russia, China, central Europe and the USA.
Thyme Essential Oil Benefits:
The essential oil of thyme has following medicinal and therapeutic properties –
– Thyme essential oils helps in aches and cramps due to spasm.
– It’s essential oils can treat arthritis and gout. It increases urination and removes toxins.
– It heals wounds and sores and protects against infection.
– It kills bacteria and cures infections such as renal colic and bacterial infection in urethra and genitals.
– Thyme oil can cure cough and other infections in chest.
– Thyme oil is beneficial for heart.
– Thyme oil forces gases to move downward and does not let them move up again.
Besides, above described benefits, it also has some of the following properties –
Uses of Thyme Oil:
The essential oil of thyme is used to cure following ailments-
- muscle aches
- cuts and wounds
- insect bites
- sore throat
- oily skin
- poor circulation