Blueberry plant is a native of North America. This produces blue colored berries which are nutritious and also offers several health benefits. The most common blueberry fruits belong to genus Vaccinium and the section Cyanococcus. Blueberry which is a false berry actually, is greenish in the raw state. In the ripened stage, the color changes from reddish purple to blue.
Nutritional Values of Blueberry:
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 148 grams of the raw fruit.
- Vitamin K – 28.6 mcg
- Vitamin E – 0.8 mg
- Vitamin A – 80 IU
- Vitamin B12 – 0 mcg
- Folate – 9 mcg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.077 mg
- Pantothenic Acid – 0.184 mg
- Niacin – 0.619 mg
- Riboflavin – 0.061 mg
- Thiamine – 0.055 mg
- Vitamin C – 14.4 mg
- Selenium – 0.1 mcg
- Manganese – 0.497 mg
- Copper – 0.084 mg
- Zinc – 0.24 mg
- Sodium – 1 mg
- Potassium – 114 mg
- Phosphorus – 18 mg
- Magnesium – 9 mg
- Iron – 0.41 mg
- Calcium – 9 mg
- Fiber – 3.6 g
- Carbohydrate – 21.45 g
- Fat – 0.49 g
- Protein – 1.1 g
- Energy – 84 kcal
Benefits of Blueberry:
- Blueberries contain a flavonoid known as
. This reduces the risk of ovarian cancer in women by 40%.
- These reduce the effects of age-related diseases like dementia or Alzheimer’s and also safeguards brain from the oxidative process.
- Blueberries also help in preserving vision. The compound called
present in this fruit aids to slow down visual loss.
- Antioxidants present in blueberries prevent cancer causing cells from damaging the body.
- These also contain tannins. These act as astringents in digestive system and aid to minimize inflammation.
- An antioxidant called
in blueberries reduce cholesterol.
- These are also effective in preventing several problems associated with urinary tract infections.
- Blueberries also augment the learning capability as well as memory power.
- It also curbs problems associated with constipation and diarrhea.