Benefits of Lettuce
Lettuce is one of the delicate salad plants in the world, that is grown as a leafy vegetable. Usually, this is consumed in the raw and cold form in hamburgers, salads, tacos and several other dishes. Lettuce is of six different types, namely Chinese lettuce, Looseleaf, Summer Crisp (Batavian), Romaine (Cos), Crisphead (Iceberg) and Butterhead (Bibb or Boston).
All these varieties are used in salads. Lettuce leaves, usually are slightly bitter in taste; however they may be particularly bred in a way which aids in getting rid of the bitterness. As it is rich in nutritional value, lettuce provides numerous nutritional and health benefits.
Nutritional Facts of Lettuce:
Below is the amount of nutrients present in the 100 grams of lettuce:
- Energy – 10 kcal (60 kJ)
- Iron – 1.2 mg
- Vitamin K – 24 mg
- Vitamin C – 4 mg
- Vitamin B9 (Folate) – 73 mg
- Vitamin A – 166 mg
- Water – 96 g
- Protein – 1.4 g
- Fats – 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber – 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates – 2.2 g
Health Benefits of Lettuce:
- As lettuce is rich in dietary fiber, it aids in digestion and is beneficial for people suffering from constipation.
- Lettuce juice when combined with rose oil and applied on the forehead, eases headache as well as helps to get restful and sound sleep.
- It is also said that consuming lettuce may help to overcome nervous insomnia, because it contains the sleep-inducing substances.
- Lettuce has huge amounts of folic acid, which is known for preventing neural-tube birth defects in the initial stages of the pregnancy.
- Lettuce is related to the possibilities of reducing the risk of cataracts, heart stroke and disease and also cancer, due to the presence of beta-carotene.
- As lettuce has very low amounts of calories, it is a perfect snack for people trying to reduce weight.
- A mixture of spinach juice and lettuce juice is beneficial for those suffering from hair loss.
- This leafy vegetable is beneficial in preventing anemia and spina bifida.
- Often, lettuce is recommended for men suffering from premature ejaculation.
- Lettuce is suggested for those suffering from nervous cough problem.
- This vegetable is also associated with the better health of liver.
- Lettuce is very beneficial in treating anemia, colitis, circulatory problems, catarrh, arthritis and acid indigestion.
- High amounts of magnesium in lettuce makes it rich in the reviving powers, in association with brain, nerves and muscular tissues.
- People suffering from urinary tract diseases, ulcers, tuberculosis, stress, sexual addiction, obesity, irritable bowel syndrome, gout and gastritis may benefit from lettuce.