Benefits of Pumpkin
Pumpkin belongs to the family of
which includes gourds. This is similar to gourds in appearance and people believe that it originated in North America. However, pumpkins do not have any fixed shape. Usually, their shape vary from being oblate to oblong. The rind is smooth and lightly rubbed. This is usually yellow or orange in color. As pumpkins are rich in nutritional values, it has several health benefits. Besides the flesh, even pumpkin seeds boast numerous nutrition benefits. Now, read on to know more about the nutritional facts and health benefits of pumpkins.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seeds:
- As pumpkins are rich in alpha-carotene, they slow down the aging process and even prevent cataract formation.
- Being rich in carotenoids, pumpkins enhances the immune system.
- Pumpkins have high amounts of fiber which is good for bowel health of a person.
- Pumpkins reduce the chances of macular degeneration. Macular degeneration is a serious eye disorder which results in blindness.
- Beta-carotene in pumpkin is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent. This aids in preventing the accumulation of cholesterol on the walls of arteries and hence, reduces the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
- Pumpkin seeds promote the health of prostate, besides lowering the difficult urination which is related with an enlarged prostate.
- Pumpkin seeds serve as a natural protector against osteoporosis.
- Pumpkins are rich in potassium and thus, alleviates the risk of hypertension.
- According to the researchers, pumpkin seeds prevent the formation of stones in kidneys.
- As pumpkin seeds are rich in phytoserols, they reduce bad cholesterol levels.
Nutritional Benefits of Pumpkin:
Below is the amount of nutrients present in a cup of pumpkin.
- Calories – 49
- Zinc – 1 mg
- Vitamin E – 3 mg
- Vitamin C – 12 mg
- Vitamin A – 2650 IU
- Selenium – 0.5 mg
- Protein – 2 grams
- Potassium – 564 mg
- Niacin – 1 mg
- Magnesium – 22 mg
- Iron – 1.4 mg
- Folate – 21 mcg
- Dietary Fiber – 3 g
- Carbohydrate – 12 gm
- Calcium – 37 mg