Natural Cures for Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungus occurs due to the infection of several tiny microorganisms. This is also known as
. In this condition, fungi grows in the moist and warm fingernails. As growth of fungus increases, it makes the nails brittle and hard and even results in discoloration. Although, it is painful in the initial days, it may hurt you later on.
Causes of fungus on toenail include tight-fitting shoes, damp socks and shoes, multiple tiny cuts in the skin and break in the nail. Fungus results in chipped, flaked and brittle toenails. Also, they start emitting foul smell. However, toenail fungus may be treated with natural cures, some of which are discussed below.
Natural Cures for Toenail Fungus:
- Add 2 tablespoons of oregano essential oil to a tablespoon of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the fungus affected areas. This gives relief from the toenail fungus.
- The best remedy for toenail fungus is the tea tree oil. Take a cotton ball and dip it in the tea tree oil. Rub it on the affected area twice a day – morning and while going to bed.
- Mix equal quantity of tea tree oil and lavender oil. Take a cotton ball and soak it in this mixture. Apply the mixture on the toe nail twice or thrice a day. This is very effective natural treatment for toenail fungus.
- Another useful and simple remedy is Listerine mouthwash. Soak toes in the mouthwash for 20 minutes. Its medicinal properties helps in controlling the growth of fungus.
- Fill a bucket with equal amounts of natural apple cider vinegar and water. Soak your toes for about 15 – 20 minutes. Hence, thoroughly dry your feet.
- Fill a bucket with equal proportions of vinegar and water. For about 20 minutes, soak your feet in this mixture. Pat dry the feet with a towel and also wipe them with a absorbent paper. This process must be done twice a day.
- Another simple and useful natural remedy is to soak feet in alcohol for nearly 20 minutes.
- It is also suggested to wash feet thoroughly after visiting public places such as locker rooms, showers, spas and swimming pools.
- Another beneficial natural cure for toenail fungus is the lime juice. Extract juice from a lime and apply it on the affected area with a cotton ball.
- Peel an onion and cut into slices. Take a slice of onion and rub it on the fungus affected area. This is the most efficient remedy for treating fungal infection.
- Prepare paste from turmeric powder and water. Apply this mixture on toenail and rinse after drying. Pat dry the feet properly.
- Include more probiotics in the diet such as kefir and yogurt. This helps in getting rid of fungus.
- Do not share shoes, washcloths, towels or other personal items of people with toe nail fungus.