Health Benefits of Passion Fruit
Passion fruit is an egg-shaped tropical fruit. This is also called
. This has wrinkled purple brown shell and several seeds on maturing. Both the seeds and the pulp inside the fruit are edible and makes it easy to consume. Additionally, pulp has a distinct scent and has a slightly sweet taste. Primarily, passion fruit is used for juicing in tropical countries. This fruit is nearly 1 – 3 inches wide, with a waxy and smooth coating outside. Besides its pleasant appearance and taste, this is also famous for its several health benefits.
Health Benefits of Passion Fruit:
- Passion fruit juice reduces the growth of cancerous cells. Though, research is in progress in this issue, phytochemicals present in the juice are considered for inhibiting the growth of cancerous cells.
- This fruit also contains plant sterols. These aid in lowering the cholesterol levels.
- It is a rich source of antioxidants, both fat soluble and water soluble ones.
- The seeds of passion fruit are good source of fiber.
- This is very effective for products that need pasteurization.
- The flavonoids and phenolic acids in the fruit possess the function of heart-protection.
- This fruit is very rich in simple sugars and carbohydrates that enhances athletic performance.
- This is very beneficial in reducing weight and obtaining optimum health.
- It is a reservoir of potassium, vitamin C and vitamin A.
Nutritional Facts of Passion Fruit:
Following are the nutritional values present in 100 grams of passion fruit:
- Polyunsaturated Fat – 0.411 mg
- Monounsaturated Fat – 0.086 mg
- Saturated Fat – 0.059 mg
- Total Fat – 0.7 mg
- Selenium – 0.6 mcg
- Copper – 0.086 mg
- Zinc – 0.1 mg
- Sodium – 28 mg
- Potassium – 348 mg
- Phosphorus – 68 mg
- Magnesium – 29 mg
- Iron – 1.6 mg
- Calcium – 12 mg
- Dietary Folate Equivalents – 14 mcg
- Food Folate – 145.6 mcg
- Folate – 14 mcg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.1 mg
- Niacin – 1.5 mg
- Riboflavin – 0.13 mg
- Vitamin K – 0.7 mcg
- Vitamin E – 0.02 mg
- Beta Cryptoxanthin – 41 mcg
- Beta Carotene – 743 mcg
- Vitamin C – 30 mg
- Retinol Activity Equivalent – 64 mcg
- Vitamin A – 1272 IU
- Protein – 2g
- Sugars – 11 g
- Dietary Fiber – 10 g
- Total Carbohydrates – 23 g
- Sodium – 28 mg
- Total Fat – 1 g