Acupuncture Eases Migraine Headaches
Acupuncture provides complete relief from migraine headaches as well as chronic headaches, according to a new research study on 15th March published in the British Medical Journal. It is an alternative treatment to medical care and gives good results in halting the headaches and prevents the recur of migraine headaches in the affected people. According to the researchers, acupuncture also effectively treats many other chronic pains.
Needles and Pins Ease Migraine Pain
In the research study, researchers had taken 401 adults, aged 18 – 65 years, suffering from migraine headaches (chronic headaches that occur at-least twice a month). There were divided into two treatment groups. One group received both acupuncture treatment and medical care whereas other group received only medical care (control group). The result of these treatments were studied after a year.
People who had received acupuncture treatment when compared to the control group who had received only medical care showed the following results:
- Used 15%less medication
- Experienced 22 fewer days with migraine headaches
- Took 15%fewer days off sick from work or study
- Made 25% fewer visits to their doctor
Researchers gave the explanation that as the first group received acupuncture treatment in addition to medical treatment, they produced good results. But the control group received only standard medical care and thus were less benefited. Thus, it was told that acupuncture is very effective in treating migraine headaches.
Acupuncture helps to treat the migraine headaches by:
- Providing pain relief by stimulating the nerves present in muscles and other tissues.
- Promoting various biochemical substances in the area thus, reducing inflammation.
- Improves the flow of blood in and around the brain.
- Improving the levels of a chemical called, serotonin associated with mood and appetite
Acupuncture even improves the quality of life in people with migraine headaches. Research studies revealed that acupuncture is cost effective and can be easily affordable compared with medical treatments.