Natural Sleep Aids For Children
Tired of implementing all the possible sleep habits to make your child fall asleep? And are you depressed that nothing worked out well? Now, its time for you to try natural sleep aids for children that are very beneficial. The following article gives 5 most effective
natural sleep aids for children
and their facts.
This hormone is secreted by the pineal gland of brain. It performs a very important function in inducing sleep by helping the body in sleep wake cycle. It reduces the time to fall asleep and increases the sleep duration.
- It is a popular sleep aid for adults with jet lag or work effects.
- It is also popularly used for children. Research studies show that melatonin works effectively in children affected with insomnia.
- It may produce certain side effects like dizziness, headaches, heavy head feeling and stomach discomfort.
- The U.S Agency for Health care Research and Quality recommends to use melatonin only for a short-term period i.e 3 months or less.
- The correct dosage for children of age less than 10 years is 3 milligrams a day.
- Do not use melatonin sleep aids derived from animal pineal glands. Instead go for only pharmaceutical graded products.
- Melatonin supplementation is very important for children with development disabilities such as blindness and autism. This is because their body systems do not produce melatonin.
- According to the medical journal Pediatrics, 15% of pediatricians suggest melatonin for children suffering from insomnia.
Chamomile (Matricaria recutita)
This is a traditionally used natural aid for sleep. The active ingredients present in chamomile namely flavonoids, such as apigenin and chrysin are responsible for inducing sleep and reducing restlessness.
- This herb is safe for both adults and children. It does not cause any side effects but may sometimes cause allergic reactions in people who are allergic to pollen and plant.
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and is thus effective in treating stomach irritation, that may be a factor for disturbance in sleep.
- It can be taken in tea form which has a pleasant and mild flavor. For internal use, tincture and capsule forms are available.
- It can also be combined with other herbal remedies and taken. It enhances the other sleep aids’ effectiveness.
Valerian (Valeriana officinalis)
This herb has been used from ancient times to treat insomnia. But, how exactly Valerian works is still not understood.
- This is one of the popular natural sleep aids for children. Just like melatonin, it reduces the time to fall asleep and increases sleep duration.
- It also eases anxiety, muscle tension and nervous tension.
- It is good to take only in recommended dosages. When taken in excess, it can cause headaches, nausea, vivid dreams, dizziness, paralysis and a weakened heartbeat.
- It works even well when combined with other herbs. A study made in Germany on valerian and lemon balm combination showed that it caused a significant improvement in child’s sleep especially in children suffering from dyssomnia (sleep disorder) or restlessness.
Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
This is an aromatic herb recognized by herbalists of Europe and is known for its strength to induce sleep and reduce nervousness. They are used in treating nervous insomnia condition.
Lemon Balm Facts
- Lemon balm is very effective in treating gastrointestinal tract from ulcers. Thus, this is a good remedy for sleeping problems associated with nervous stomach.
- It can be taken in the form of tea.
- The recommended dosage for children, according to a study made in Germany is 80 mg of dry leaf extract.
- It does not produce any side effects.
Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata)
This herb has been used by Aztecs (ethnic groups of Central Mexico) for its sedative effects. It helps in relaxing the body and mind to provide a good sleep. The active components responsible for its sleeping aid effect are harmine, which inhibits serotonin breakdown and chrysin, a flavonoid which induces sleep and reduces restlessness.
- This is a very powerful natural aid for children in treating sleep disorders caused by anxiety, muscle conditions and chronic pain.
- It can be taken in tea form and is also available as capsules or tincture.
- It is also good for adults and the only side effect it produces is drowsiness.
Now, you have come to know about 5 different natural sleep aids for children, but they need to be used only after consulting a physician. Make sure you are careful in supplementing the right dosage to your children.