Natural Immune System Boosters â€“ Foods, Herbs and Essential Oils
Spring showers can bring spring sneezes. To protect ourselves from the cold and flu conditions, we need a fortified immune system. Natural immune system boosters help to fight against all the health aggressions and moreover lessen the effects. Luckily, there are many
natural immune system boosters – foods, herbs and essential oils
that greatly help to boost the immune system.
Foods That Boost Immune System
The easiest way to improve the power and efficiency of immune system is through foods. Foods contain various nutrients that help strengthen the body cells to ward off the infections. The nutrients such as vitamins C, E, carotenoids, zinc, selenium, bioflavonoids and omega-3 fatty acids are effective for immune system. The foods that satisfy all the necessities to boost immune system are:
- Pineapple, grapefruit, orange, cantaloupe, kiwi, strawberries, papaya and guava are rich in vitamin C.
- Whole grains, vegetable oils and seeds are rich in vitamin E.
- Fresh thyme, cilantro, collard greens, winter squash, turnip greens, spinach, kale, carrots and sweet potatoes are rich in carotenoids.
- Beans, turkey (dark meat), crabs, oysters and beef are rich in zinc.
- Tuna, beef, legumes, nuts and cereals are rich in selenium.
- Onions, buckwheat, garlic, black grapes, blueberries, redberries and citrus fruits are rich in bioflavonoids.
- Olive oil, fish (tuna, mackerel), winter squash, beans, walnuts and flaxseeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Some other foods have a good nutrient balance to boost the immune system. These foods include:
- Green, black and white tea
- Lean beef
Herbs That Boost Immune System
There are many herbs that assist in boosting the immune system. The strongest of all herbs is astragalus. It is a good prophylactic against upper respiratory infections and colds, and helps increase the turnover number of leucocytes (white blood cells). Therefore, the antibiotic production is stimulated to act against infections.
Other prominent herbs that help are:
- Cat’s claw
- European elder
- Golden seal
Essential Oils That Help Boost Immune System
The use of essential oils as aromatherapy is also important among natural immune system boosters. The essential oils combat against the infections, stimulate the energy levels of the body and thereby help the immune system.
The top most essential oils that stimulate immune system and its responses are:
- Tea tree
Aromatherapy with these essential oils can be made with 2 parts – tea tree, bergamot and lavender as one part and sandalwood mixed in 10 parts of carrier oil as another part. Topical application of this mixture especially on neck, chest and gland regions stimulates the immune response.
Another aromatherapic remedy is to make a mixture with equal parts of geranium, lavender and vetiver. This acts very good in case of low immunity by fighting against viral infections.