Turmeric For Cancer Treatment
Turmeric is a rhizomatous plant and a perennial herb that grows in tropical regions. It is a native to South Asia with many medicinal benefits. The following article tells about the uses of
turmeric for cancer treatment.
The important chemical curcumin present in turmeric is effective in treating cancer due to its immense anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic and anti-bacterial nature.
How Does Turmeric for Cancer Treatment Work?
Curcumin compound present in turmeric helps in combating cancerous cells. It can treat different forms of cancers like skin cancer, breast cancer, bowel cancer and stomach cancer. The effect of curcumin in cancer treatment was proved in treating bowel cancer. Here are the points that can explain the usage of turmeric for cancer treatment.
- Curcumin inhibits the activity of enzymes which are responsible for promoting tumor growth. Therefore it causes indirect interference in cancerous cell growth.
- Presence of free radicals is one of the major factors for causing cancers. Curcumin can therefore neutralize the free radicals and reduces cancer risks by its antioxidant nature.
Research study showing effect of turmeric for cancer treatment
- Research studies conducted on mice showed the results of nearly 40% reduction in benign tumors on using turmeric for cancer treatment.
- The genes responsible for benign tumors, especially colon cancer are the same in both human beings and mice. Therefore, mice were taken as the experiment tools.
- Three groups of mice were taken and all were injected with prostate cancer cells for developing malignant tumor in them.
- Out of the 3 mice groups, 2 groups were given curcumin extract and the other group was not treated. It was observed that there was 70% recovery in the tumor reduction in the first two treated groups as compared to the third group.
How to Take Turmeric for Cancer Treatment?
The percentage of curcumin is very less in the turmeric used as spice in foods. It has no effect on the cancer cells. Thus, it should be taken only in the dosage prescribed by the doctors. It is available in capsule, tablet and powder forms. It is not advisable for pregnant women and patients with gastrointestinal ulcers and gallstones.