Health Benefits of Guava Leaves
Guava is a perennial plant, native to Central America, South America and Mexico. It has got many medicinal properties and has been used as a medicinal herb for many years. The plant has got green foliage, white flowers and sweet fruits that are produced in the summer season. The following article gives out the
health benefits of guava leaves
that can make you understand better about this plant’s medicinal value.
Listed below are the
health benefits of guava leaves:
Treats Age-Related Diseases –
Guava leaves contain high antioxidants which can prevent and repair the cells that are damaged by oxidants. Thus, the aging process is slowed and it helps in reducing the risk of diseases associated with aging like cancers, heart diseases, macular degeneration, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoarthritis and cataracts.
Cures Gastrointestinal Problems –
The extract of guava leaves helps in inhibiting the diarrhea that is caused by bacterial infections of Escherichia coli, Salmonella species and Staphylococcus aureus. It also prevents diarrhea that occurs as a result of cholera. Decoction made from guava leaves increases the digestive enzymes production and also prevents vomiting.
Aids Weight Loss -
Guava leaves are effective in causing weight loss by stopping the conversion of starch to sugars.
Treats Diabetes -
Guava leaves are an age old remedy in treating diabetes. They help in lowering blood glucose levels without causing any effect on the insulin levels.
Cures Allergies –
Guava leaves have got anti-allergic properties and therefore help in preventing histamine release.
- Some Other
Heath Benefits of Guava Leaves
- Speeds up the healing process and relieves pain in sores and wounds on applying the crushed leaves on the affected skin area.
- Relieves the pain of arthritis when a paste made from the leaves is applied on the arthritis affected region.
- Gives a soothing effect to the sore throat when a decocotion of guava leaves is gargled.
- Provides relief from toothaches on chewing fresh guava leaves.
- Heals mouth sores and inflamed gums when its decocotion is used as mouthwash.
- Treats acne and hangovers, controls blood pressure and cholesterol, protects prostate and increases sperm production on regular consumption.
The above mentioned are the amazing
health benefits of guava leaves.
Use them to enjoy benefits against various diseases.