Aromatherapy For Toothache
Aromatherapy, the use of plant essential oils can help you in offering temporary relief from toothache. The chemical compounds present in extracts of certain plants such as lavender and clove treat teeth and gums. The aroma from these essential oils triggers certain parts of the brain providing relief. But certain plant extracts can cause adverse reactions therefore,
aromatherapy for toothache
should only be practiced under the supervision of a specialist.
Given below are the aromatherapy essential oils effective for treating toothache.
Aromatherapy for toothache
should never be considered a substitute for dental care.
Clove Essential Oil
– There is one active ingredient called eugenol present in clove essential oil with anesthetic properties. This active ingredient aids in treating toothache and even used in modern dentistry.
Lavender Essential Oil
– Lavender is another effective essential oil for toothache. It contains a nontoxic terpene alcoholic ingredient called linalol which possesses antimicrobial properties. The aroma of this oil has sedative and calming properties. During wartime, it is used to disinfect wounds.
Peppermint Essential Oil
– This has got anesthetic and antiseptic properties which makes the oil effective for treating toothache. It also acts as a flavoring agent for mouthwash and toothache.
How Aromatherapy for Toothache Works?
Add a few drops of clove or peppermint essential oil to a cold compress and press it to the affected area. You can also soak cotton ball in any of these essential oils and apply it to the gums in the affected area.
Points to Consider:
- Be careful not to swallow while applying essential oils to the gums.
- Peppermint and clove essential oils are highly concentrated and may lead to skin irritation.
- Peppermint oil is not advisable to take during pregnancy as it is an antispasmodic.
- Lavender oil should be used in limited amounts as it can cause certain side effects such as vomiting, nausea, chills and headaches.
This is all about certain essential oils used in