Prepare Your Own Homemade Natural Sunscreen
Sunscreens protect us from sun’s radiations which can damage our skin. Choosing a sunscreen is however difficult, especially when so many sunscreen lotions claim so many benefits.
are always a good option compared to most commercial sunscreens since they do not contain harmful chemicals. Some commercial sunscreens may also cost you a bomb. So, try to make your own potion of sunscreen and save money!
Following are few tips on how you can prepare your own natural sunscreens which don’t have any harmful effects on the skin.
- Â¼ cup oil (any of olive, almond, coconut)
- 5 teaspoons of a sun blocking agent, preferably zinc oxide (titanium dioxide can be used an alternative). You can add more zinc oxide if you want to increase the SPF.
- 1 tablespoon of emulsifying wax or crumbled beeswax (beeswax is a natural wax produced in the bee hive). You can add more beeswax to make the sunscreen thicker. It can be availed from your local bee keeper. You can also find it at a local craft store.
- 3 tablespoon of natural Aloe Vera (which can be obtained from the plant)
- Â½ cup distilled water (alternatively brewed and strained green tea)
- 2-3 Vitamin E oil capsules (optional)
- Essential oils for fragrance(optional)
How to prepare:
- Heat the oil.
- Add crumbled beeswax or the emulsifying wax to this oil and continue heating till the wax completely melts.
- Stop heating and add the sun blocking agent (zinc oxide or titanium dioxide)
- In a small pan, heat water/green tea with Aloe Vera until the mixture is warm.
- Add this mixture slowly to the earlier mixture with vigorous whisking.
- You can add any essential oils to give you fragrance.
- Pour this lotion into a bottle or a container .
thus prepared are free from any chemicals that cause harm to your skin.
A few precautions should be taken when preparing these sunscreens.
- Know that zinc oxide should not be inhaled. Use a mask to avoid inhaling.
- The container used to keep zinc oxide or the mixture should not be used for cooking. Hence use a bowl which you won’t use for cooking.